Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Holiday Movie Ideas

We LIve Upstairs Holiday Movie Ideas

Happy (almost) Thanksgiving, everyone! As you might've surmised from my impeccable (don't you dare disagree... : )) Photoshop creation above, I wanted to share some of my favorite holiday movies with you today! But don't get it twisted: just because I call these "holiday" movies does not mean they're all Santa Clause and cookies (lookin' at you, Corleone...); they're just great movies to watch with family and friends around. The kind of movies you can really settle into with some (spiked?) cocoa and a blanket. Perfect for Thanksgiving, no? So without further ado:

L-R:
1. Midnight in Paris. Or just anything with Marion Cotillard, really (see #3). I can't get enough of her or the 1920s...or Woody Allen, Rachel McAdams, if we're being honest, so this is kind of my perfect movie (with the exception of all things #4, of course). Not to mention, Allen's Hemingway is deliciously spot-on- worth a viewing!

2. Star Trek (2009). I'll be honest and say I have yet to see this film. However, Matt watched it with his dad while back home for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, and swears to me that it's incredible. That kind of review from Picky Peter (Matt, if you're not following) is enough for me, and he assures me we're watching it this year : ).

3. The Dark Knight (Rises). I added the "Rises" after having my mind blown in seeing the newest Batman addition just a month or so ago; can they get any better? Heath Ledger's final, complete performance is moving enough, but now you have the terror-inducing Bain and Ms. Cotillard in the villain chair...just watch them both. Sidenote: it wasn't until Rises that I realized I have major hots for Christian Bale.

4. The Godfather: Parts I and II absolutely, III only because you should see the complete saga. It may not be well known around these parts, but I am mafia obsessed. I just finished The Sopranos, and I can't wait to settle down to Thanksgiving leftovers on Friday  in front of the rise and fall of my favorite family. Also: Al Pacino was a total babe back in the day. Seriously, I can't say enough about these films. Just. Perfection.

5. Miracle on 34th Street (Mara Wilson remake). I know my fellow 90s girls will respect/recognize when I mention anything to do with Mara Wilson, so it should come as no surprise that this warm and fuzzy remake makes the list. I watched this with my mom every year while growing up, and I haven't let go of it yet. Memories, y'all.

6. The Family Stone. Diane Keaton, Luke Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Sarah Jessica Parker and Dermot Mulroney are the definition of dysfunctional family and I love every minute of it. It's fun to see SJP wig out for once, and Rachel McAdams can do no wrong.  Also, this movie has almost too much holiday goodness in it, so you'll definitely want to watch this just after those cookies come out of the oven. You're welcome.

That's it for me! I hope this helps anyone in need of some cozy family-time ideas. Eat lots tomorrow! : )

2 comments:

  1. miracle on 34th street is my all-time favorite christmas movie. can't wait to watch it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...